The assistant will be assigned to assist a Party Chief in the completion of field surveys. This position will provide the required training and experience to allow the assistant to progress to a Party Chief position.
A Field assistant is able to complete the following tasks consistently and effectively under the direct supervision of a Party Chief:
- Assist the Party Chief in completion of field surveys by setting up field equipment and assisting in the collection of data
- Collect locational data through the use of total stations, global positioning system (GPS) receivers, data collectors, 3D scanners etc
- Daily uploading and downloading the data collector
- Ensuring equipment is in good working order – completing basic maintenance when required
- Ensure the field vehicle is in good working order – completing basic maintenance when required
- Ensuring field vehicle is equipped with the daily needs based on the work scheduled to be completed that day
- Drive to and from work sites
- Improve efficiency by taking on roles that will allow projects to be completed more efficiently – ie preparing field notes
- Daily clean up of the field room, equipment room and garage areas to ensure clean and tidy work areas
- A Field assistant must learn and ensure compliance with the regulations that govern our industry
- Monumentation regulations
- AOLS Standards and IBW Standards
- General boundary retracement principles, including recognizing and attempting to re-establish the boundaries from the nearest ascertainable evidence
The Field Assistant reports to the Field Team Lead, with daily supervision from the assigned Party Chief.